Bird on stone

Bird on stone

I had this stone in a stash of other stones for a few years now. I wasn’t sure what to do with it. It’s not semi-precious, so, at first glance it didn’t have a lot going for it. No sparkle, no shine. I decided to do some wire work but wanted to embellish it to give it a little more life. I saw a tip ┬áin one of my magazines about using Staz-on ink to jazz up stones. The ink is permanent and won’t come off, even with soap and water. So, I got myself some black Staz-on ink and stamped a bird image on the stone. This made all the difference without adding too much flare. It kind of has a Zen appeal to it. The final result is shown below!

100_3924 100_3929 100_3931
More summertime fun with jewelry

More summertime fun with jewelry

Forgot to snap a photo of the wire wrapped dichroic glass doughnut for my blog post last week. I had to re-work the wire weaving I originally did because it looked like something out of a really bad circus. A little tweeking without losing any of the work was all it needed. I’ve had this glass doughnut for years and was waiting for the right opportunity and skills to come along so I could do this very cool doughnut justice. I almost missed the mark.

I also had some fun this week making small coiled beads. I found these light blue glass rectangles. I put the two together, added a spiral, and was inspired to snap some shots using white sand as the background.

I totally missed the mark on the green stone earrings (for lack of the right name of the stone). I stamped an image onto the stone. It is very permanent, it won’t wash off. One image came out more muted than the other. This was after numerous practice attempts on paper. The earrings are also a little heavy. I try not to make earrings that will take your lobes to the floor. These ones aren’t that heavy, but may need to be turned into pendants.

Win some, lose some.

100_3852 100_3855 100_3832
100_3831 100_3843 100_3845
What’s new for summer?

What’s new for summer?

I abandoned my blog. Not much has been going on in the jewelry world. I’ve had some changes and minor setbacks this summer. I haven’t stopped dreaming my pipe dream of some day having studio space where I can work on jewelry and other projects. For now, I’m a little stumped for creativity.

I have managed to work on my wire wrapping skills. I made the earrings and pendants below.

100_3814 100_3785 100_3793
100_3800 100_3806 100_3797
100_3810

My First Video.

I posted my first video to youtube! It just showcases my bracelets. I enjoyed arranging this video, but don’t really care for some of the new changes in Movie Maker. It seems like you used to be able to do a lot more with Movie Maker. Oh well, it was fun. Check it out and like it (if you have four minutes to spare). Thanks in advance!

Copper is fun!

I decided to change this . . .

100_2988

to this.

100_3301

I wasn’t happy with the way this pendant looked with the silver-filled chain. They just didn’t go together. I swapped the chain out for a hand-dyed silk string that matched the copper tones of some of the beads in the pendant. This piece just looks so much more vibrant to me now.

I also got wrap happy and made some wonderful wire wrapped bracelets. In two of the bracelets I include honey bee paper beads. I oxidized some copper wire and used that to make the wire wrapped chain in the bracelets. I really like these and had so much fun working with copper again!

100_3281 100_3314 100_3326

100_3309

I thought these looked neat together.